Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dusty Lemons

You are likely familiar with the phrase "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I have always chuckled at that phrase and found it to be a positive way of looking at things.  It's cliché, it's cute, it's an all-American phrase we can relate to that makes us feel better about things.

However, it doesn't always bring me optimistic thoughts due to one thing - procrastination. I had this fancy (discount store) fruit bowl and thought it would look gorgeous on the counter with some bright, cheery yellow lemons. It did look lovely until the day I noticed they were still there, and...dusty. Sometimes I find that I run out of time to make the lemonade and so my lemons gather dust. I had great intentions but lacked the follow-through.  It's so easy for me to say "I'll do this one more thing, and then..."

Optimism is one of the best things in life and it can sustain us through difficult times.  So, how sad is it that lemons can get dusty?  Did you know that they can? Do you dust yours from time to time and put them back in the bowl or do you make lemonade promptly?

Do you realize that procrastination dates back to the Bible?  When Pharoah was asked about setting a time for Moses to pray to have the frogs removed, he replied "tomorrow." (Exodus 8:8-10).  We see Elisha and Esther each use the phrase "and then I will" (1 Kings 19:20-21 and Esther 5:8).  We are adept at making excuses, at procrastinating, at delaying what we should do.
 

One More Thing...

Do you dust off your lemons with the intention of making the lemonade later?

Would you consider yourself an optimistic person?

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you or simply to connect with.

Lois Lynn

No comments: