Sunday, July 31, 2016

Fitness Decisions

I have four brand new pairs of running shoes lined up along my dining table, three of which are waiting to be returned. About a year ago, I made the decision and I was ready to start regaining my physical strength and fitness after letting all things slide for almost 25 years. This apparently was the cue for all aches and pains that had been dormant to rise up again - the twisted hips, the almost plantar fasciitis heel pain, the lower back, etc.

I continued to live with the pain, too proud to limp in front of friends or not do all the activities I needed to do on a regular basis for work and home. September brings an annual event that I remember being in pain at last year, even losing a week of work afterward for recovery. That trigger, realizing that it's been a year or more has led me to take this next step. I simply MUST find a pair of shoes to wear that doesn't cause heel pain every single day. No pain, I can finally start to be mobile again - pain each day and it's all you can do to survive. It's time to thrive again.

I can go for 20 visits shopping and find nothing to work for me; we're looking for low budget, heel pain (need cushioning) and flatter than flat feet (need firm arches). You should try finding support and cushion at the same time! So, I skipped the affordable route and finally decided I was worth $150 and went to the pros. Now I have 4 perfect pairs of shoes here. One is super perfect and cute, but the most money while one is almost super perfect, one model year older, not as cute but $40 cheaper. Logic says to take that one, heart says to get the cool one.

Then there's the best value...2 pairs are about 75% off the ridiculous original price! I would never be able to buy this brand again so my brain says to get the best deal.

The irony is that this simple decision about a pair of shoes has held up progress for my decision to start taking care of my body by 2 weeks now! 

Who out there will join me in making the decision to start taking care of our own well-being so we can keep taking care of others?

Challenge on? I'm in...right after I decide which shoes to keep.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made the decision a few years ago to become a member at a nearby resort- it's a bit pricy but worth it. And after reading "The Happiness Project" where the author talks a lot about exercise and fitness I felt like I had given myself a real gift. Sometimes in the winter I have the entire pool to myself which is divine. Good luck picking out your shoes.

Lois Lynn said...

Thanks! I remember reading that book, but I do believe I should pick it up again. I'm so glad you commented.