Monday, August 1, 2016

Procrastination Anyone?

This is a new thing to me and I still can't quite decide if I embrace it or if it sets me into a panic. I was always the planner, the one with a checklist and made steps towards the end goal and almost always completed the project or task ahead of schedule. This last year or two has brought the opposite behavior and internal conflict. While I have never been one to relax well, I have made great strides in allowing some downtime. The problem is that this creates less time to plan and work ahead and I often find myself nearing a deadline without any progress. This is difficult and I'm not having fun living under the mental burden of the invisible to-do list.

I don't know why procrastination is so rampant in our society. For me, I know these last years have added many more responsibilities and roles and my inner juggler is getting a little older and slower. My brain is weary and I put off the thinking tasks more these days. For some, it's pure laziness and a live in the moment mentality while others are so readily distracted and lose focus instantly.

Perhaps, like this photo, we only procrastinate the work we really aren't called to be doing. Or is that too idealistic and we all face tasks we don't want to do even in the job of our passion? Hmmmm....

Are you a planner or a procrastinator? Did it change throughout your life or were you always one or the other? If you are a planner, what are your tips for the others? If you are a procrastinator, I'd love to hear if you are content with that and why. Do you enjoy the frantic rush the last-minute deadline brings or are you simply one to not get around to it?

My 8th-grade math teacher had these great buttons printed with the word "tuit" printed on it and of course, yes, the button was round. The man was ahead of his time as this was a few decades ago...would probably have made a fortune now.

Talk to me folks...let me hear what side you're on and what your stories are.

1 comment:

Health Street Journal-Health and Beauty Facts said...

I am a planner, I have hard time understanding why people wait until the last minute.