Saturday, August 6, 2016

Anticipating Autumn


We have had a remarkably pleasant summer this year, and while I am by no means rushing ahead and wishing it away, I find myself yearning for the autumn season already. I have nobody to blame but myself for this. It began with cleaning out the kitchen cupboards for a yard sale and I discovered the eclectic collection I have of mugs. I am not a coffee or hot tea drinker and feel that a mug should only be used for hot beverages. This leaves only hot chocolate for me and I typically only sip on that about 6 times per year...in the fall and maybe winter. So my mugs are organized and I am ready for fall.

We have also had some unseasonably cool evenings that leave you wanting more of those cool breezes drifting over you while you nestle down into a blanket to stay warm not quite ready to go inside. If you factor in the gas fireplace and my favorite shoe item of boots, fall is easily my favored season.

Some people use January 1st as a kind of reset but I am recharged by fall and I am ready for a recharge this year. The kids will be back in school, clearing the way for the rest of us to finally go to the beach or the zoo without the summer crowds. Last year we headed to the coast on a Tuesday in October and found it busier than any other time we've visited and everybody had the same shock and the same expectation. Crowds and all, it was a peaceful experience of the older generation.

What is your favorite season and why? Has it always been that way or did it change with your seasons of life or as you got older? If you have lived in a variety of climates, did that affect your favorite season?

No comments: