Monday, August 8, 2016

Lessons Learned

32 days ago an innocent post crossed my Facebook timeline...30 Day Blog Your Brand Challenge.

I have been at the fork in the road of closing my business or renewing the lease, trying to upgrade the website but running into software and host issues that I cannot resolve until September. I was trying to decide if these were signs against continuing on. It suddenly dawned on me that while Red Tennies is a business, I have two blogs and one is about my own creative writing thoughts so at the last minute I went for it.

Most of the other members will post these eloquent and useful blogs today sharing their wisdom in what they have learned. Well, here's my biggest personal takeaway...I'm not normal.

There it is, in black and white and on the internet to be seen forever. I admit it, I'm not normal. I'm beginning to be okay with that, however.

See, here are my wise aha moments:

1. 30 Days is an insanely long time if you are committed to writing a blog each day or you are waiting for a vacation.

2. I have a short attention span. Even writing, I lost myself at about 200 words but the goal was 300.

3. I have too much time on my hands - I now have about a dozen new blogs to follow regularly.

4. I don't have enough time on my hands - I need to go back and catch up on all of the ones I've bookmarked and post encouraging replies.

5. It does work to sit down and write when you think you have nothing to say.

6. If you are a writer, it is incredibly important to write. It doesn't matter what, it doesn't matter what format, but write!

7. If I ever unblock the friend who got me here (just kidding Kayla), I will plan ahead instead of living in the moment. Oh, and I'll move to the east coast for 30 days so I can write until midnight's deadline...9 pm is the beginning of the creative time for us west coasters.

8. I CAN do what I set my mind to do, I had only forgotten that I could.

9. Yes, I would do this again.

10. You should join me.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would never want to be normal! Here's to being unique and finding your own voice. Thanks for sticking it out with the challenge.

Kayla Fioravanti said...

I'm so glad you are not normal! And you made me literally laugh out loud when I read number seven.

Lois Lynn said...

I agree Donna and Kayla - normal is overrated. Kayla...thought you'd appreciate that one!