Sunday, August 7, 2016

Inside or Outside the Box?

I am at my best when I am working from home, a coffee shop, a beachside table or any other form of telecommuting. It's not that I don't enjoy the physical location of my office and the people aren't any bother either. I am completely adequate and efficient in all of my tasks but my soul feels a tad empty when I am confined to normal things. Take me out of the office and you'll see me thrive - my mind is free and unburdened, my dog will likely be with me which does amazing things for the quality of your day. It takes a lot more to ruffle my feathers when I'm hanging out with the pup in a grand spot. We have a new deadline for a project? Not a problem if I'm offsite where I can take in the news, breathe deeply, get a puppy kiss and make the new task schedule to get it done. Give me that same situation at work and there's a bit of a sit and stare time necessary to shift gears because the innovative side gets trapped.

Perhaps that is the root below this firmly planted ability to thrive outside the office - innovators don't like routine and do not perform with passion if stifled. We need to feel and be independent, trusted and empowered. Most people I've worked with have done this but I still feel the diminished effects of a few that didn't lead that way.

Having a particular space you connect with is so important if you are wired this way. For those who are not craving this, it would be nearly torture to work outside of the office. It truly takes all kinds to keep businesses going, but an understanding of allowing your employees to work in their best situation can build a solid team of efficient, happy and thriving individuals.

Is the office your comfort zone or do you need to be released?

1 comment:

Elin Criswell said...

Great blog, Lois! It made me think. Seems that primarily I like to be connected, thus, my office. Yet, there is also that side of me that likes to work unconnected. Recently I even bought what I refer to as my 'baby laptop.' At 10" it's easy to type anywhere.