Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Gift

I have a gift sitting on my mantle, waiting for me to decide that it is precisely the right day to open it, savor it, treasure it, and thoroughly enjoy it.  Yes, it is wrapped.  Yes, I bought it for myself.  Yes, I remember what it is.  And yes, the perfect day is near.

One year ago, I returned to my hometown for a visit and I found this little memory lane treasure.  There is a quaint, unique restaurant in town called The Guild House.  They serve one menu each day and it's in a really cool old house in downtown, The Barlow House built in 1909.  I always wanted to go there and I don't remember that I ever did.  I guess you could say it's still on my Bucket List.  While I've never had the privilege of eating there, it is known to be exceptional food.

Recently, I re-discovered the joy and reward I find in cooking.  I was reminded by a friend that one of my creative outlets is my cooking and baking.  I had never seen it that way, but he was right.  My enthusiasm and love for this have been ignited again, and the "secret" gift waiting for me is The Guild House Cookbook.  Oh, I just felt a little spark in the depths of my soul thinking about opening this gift.


I will miss seeing this treasure of joy on my mantle, waiting for me, encouraging me to be creative and share my culinary creations with friends.  However, can't you see it?  A nice gentle Spring rain, barely cool enough that I get to enjoy the fireplace one more time, sipping hot cocoa and my favorite relaxing music in the background.  Or maybe it's a bright summer day and I'm enjoying my special Tropical Passion Iced Tea I brought back from vacation and lounging in the swing in the backyard and my music is the chirping of the birds.

Whichever day it is, it will be a day of joy for me.  I intend to spend a few hours slowly turning the pages, making lists of the recipes I want to try first.  I will have to select which friend is going to be the first to sample the new flavors with us.  The day I no longer have a gift waiting for me will be the day I decide I am worth taking time for, to enjoy a simple gift that I would not usually purchase for myself.  It will be the day I say to the world "You will not control me.  You will not keep me so busy and stressed out that I cannot enjoy life.  You will not prevent me from following my dreams."


The joy that awaits me is almost immeasurable.  I am reminded of the credit card slogan from a few years ago that would sound something like this:

The Guild House Cookbook: $30The Hot Cocoa (or Passion Iced Tea): $8The Perfect Day to Dream About New Passions: Priceless
I learned this trick from my mom.  She has been known to have a gift sitting there for years and years.  I do not have that patience.  I also want to move on to another gift!  Mom, when you read this please share how long you've had that wrapped gift.

Have you ever held back purchasing a small "gift" that you wanted, but didn't think you should spend the money on yourself?


Sometimes, it's okay.  Be smart about it, but dare to think outside the gift-wrapped box and treat yourself every once in a while.



One More Thing...

Have you ever bought yourself a little present and had it waiting for you, for that day when you really need something to pick up your spirits?


Take care, and I'm always here to listen, pray for you, or to encourage you.
Lois Lynn



The Guild House exists solely through the servant hearts of its volunteers and raises money to contribute to the Henrietta Weill Memorial Child Guidance Clinic.  https://tghob.clubexpress.com










2 comments:

Teenie-Ree said...

I am VERY impressed with your ability to enjoy delayed gratification. You could write a whole post on that- I'd be interested in any tips you have:) That being said, I guess I chose pregnancy which is 9 months of delayed gratification!:) But typically I'm not great at it...I want those chocolate brownies now! As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your posts give me food for thought throughout the week. -Matina

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a joy to get this today....it was truly "good medicine" for me. It gave me sweet memories of the time Mom and I went shopping and bought cups/saucers with a dessert plate and had the clerk wrap them for us....Mom of course took hers home and opened it and I chose to keep mine wrapped for a very long time!!!! I don't remember exactly when we bought them but am sure it was probably in the early-mid 80's. I kept it in the living room as a reminder of having something special....a reason to get through "time" knowing I had something waiting for me to open....a "gift" of love for me....I loved the times I had with Mom and treasured all the "goodies" she shared with me.....so I knew there was a box full of love waiting for me when I really needed it.....it was interesting that just knowing it was there seemed to lift me up when I was down, sad or whatever......it was also so very much fun to see how people reacted to the fact there was an un-opened present there.....my great niece grew up always wanting me to open it.....in fact I didn't open it until quite a number of years after we moved to Roseburg (2000).....I think I finally opened it about 5 years ago.....I now have another "present" waiting for me....yes, of course I know what it is (although I do have to admit it took me a little while to remember what was in the box one day recently).....one of these days or years down the road I will open it and enjoy remembering the day I bought it.....I shared the day with cousin Jone....so will have some more pleasant memories whenever I unwrap my gift. Just having something waiting for you is a treat in itself.....I can look at it and be filled with good memories! Isn't it interesting that one little present sitting on a table or shelf in plain sight can flood your soul with the loving memories of family/friends/love/laughter/good times? It is a reminder of one of my favorite songs......"It Is Well With My Soul"

Mom