Friday, March 23, 2012

Distractions

I have the day off.  I dream of being a writer - I want the fantasy writer life I imagine waiting for me so I pack up the laptop and go to hang out at a restaurant to "be a writer".  I have an agenda, I have topics in mind, it's beautifully sunny outside and I'm sitting in front of a bank of floor to ceiling windows. 

Did I mention that I have been living obsessed with the desire to be doing this while being at the beach?

I'm settled, I've ordered, I'm good.  I'm waiting for the computer to boot up and then two men are seated at the table behind me. 

For those of you guessing ahead of me...no, THEY were not the cause of my distraction.  At least, not in the manner that you may be thinking.  I don't even know what they look like, but they are talking about cruising to Mexico.  You know - sunshine, surf, beach, great Mexican food, time off, etc.

Oh sure, and I was supposed to write.  I immediately shoot off an e-mail to my writer friends and brilliantly, they all quickly sent back the same reply, "write about it."  So, you can blame today's topic on my friends.  Unless, of course, you are enjoying this.

So today, my distraction is my longing for the coast, a specific type of coast.  Yesterday, I was distracted by wanting to organize a new art studio section in my basement.

I find this particularly ironic because earlier this week I was reading about the need to focus.  Ha!  Glad I only borrowed that book instead of buying it.  (Actually, I would like to buy it, it was great.)

One More Thing...

What is your current distraction? What is hindering you from doing what you want to be doing?

Note: I did not ask you about what you NEED to be doing, but what you WANT to be doing.

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you or simply to connect with.

Lois Lynn

5 comments:

Kris said...

I WANT to be planting bulbs, I can't cuz it is too cold and gicky out. I want to take a nap, but I do that too often and it is too easy to do. I need to finish a couple of projects, but alas...FB is the worst distraction EVER!

Kayla said...

I really want to just rest today....but my need to list is interrupting my rest....

Carmen said...

I get distracted from what I want to do by other things I want to do. I truly am easily amused and quickly content (well, that's debatable..).

Anonymous said...

Today my big distraction was the weather. I wanted to write, but I took the kids to the park instead. Then Sunset magazine came, so I had to thumb through that. Then I finished baking a cheesecake for Jeni, for company tonight. That was after I went to the store, with the kids, for ingredients. They were all very nice distractions.

Lois Lynn said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing - distractions can be fun, they can even be good things. I hope we all find a balance between want and need, and sometimes even allow the distractions.

Carmen - you cracked me up, because I can distract myself the very same way, with another want to do thing.