Monday, March 5, 2012

Black and White - The Power of Written Words

There it was again - words written in black and white that I knew to be another lie. I started to write "untruth" there, but when somebody makes a choice to use untruthful words, or to use truthful words with deliberate gaps to paint the illusion of a different meaning...let's call it what it is - a lie.

I am a strong fan of both the electronic world and the written word, but I strive to maintain a balance between the technological world I enjoy and the face to face encounters that round out my community and are a necessity for communication.

There are many benefits of the written word, but my focus tonight is on a cautionary aspect. Very few people can successfully communicate the emotions and personality behind the words. Often, the reader will have a reaction or question but may not ask any follow-up questions - the result being confusion, miscommunication, and the potential for hurt feelings.

Have you ever been hurt by something you read, only to have a conversation later and understand that there was a miscommunication?

One More Thing...

Have you ever written something that was misunderstood?

At least once this week, call someone instead of sending them an e-mail or Facebook post and enjoy those few moments of "real life".

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you or simply to connect with.

Lois Lynn


No comments: